The PMA 2009 fair in Las Vegas is opening its doors and it is time to confirm or correct the rumours.
- Nikon is concentrating on existing SLR products: Nikon D700 is king.
- Sony is not introducing any new SLR camera.
- Panasonic is advertising strongly the existing Lumix DMC-G1
So, where are the news? Here are some of the notable items:
- Samsung offers new compact point-and-shoot cameras (NX series) with an APS-C imaging sensor. Direct competitors for the SLR cameras, in the “Image Quality” category.
- Olympus E-620
- 6 new lenses for the Sony SLR cameras (one undisclosed Sony G Super Telephoto, 28-75mm f/2.8, DT 30mm f/2.8 Macro, DT 50mm f/1.8, DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6)
- A new Panasonic Lumix GH1 (improvement over the G1 in 12MP with 1080p video)
- 2 new lenses for the Lumix cameras (14-140mm & 7-14mm)
We will certainly conclude that this issue of the world photo event is going to be tagged as “consumer-oriented” or “entry-level sensitive”.