We no longer can say that this is a delay. Canon has been announcing so many of these up to now. Recently, they updated the list of availability for the future pro tele-lenses:
- EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM at $6,599, late August 2011
- EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM at $10,499, late August 2011
- EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM at $1,399, late July 2011
- EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM at $9,499, later in 2011
- EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM at $11,999, later in 2011
No information about the 200-400mm with 1.4x extender.
In parallel, Nikon is murmuring that they do not intend to launch any new pro tele-lens in 2011.
All this is obviously linked to the issues coming from the Japan earthquake (even if Canon is pushing forward with something that is really late already).